Stenandriopsis CladeLucinda A. McDade and Carrie Kiel
- Achyrocalyx decaryi Benoist
- Stenandrium afromontanum (Mildbr.) Vollesen (=Stenandriopsis afromontana (Mildbr.) Benoist)
- Stenandrium guineensis (Nees) Vollesen (=Stenandriopsis guineense (Nees) Benoist)
- Stenandrium humile (Benoist ) Vollesen (=Stenandriopsis humile Benoist)
- Stenandrium thompsonii (S. Moore) Vollesen (=Stenandriopsis thompsonii S. Moore)
- Stenandrium warneckei (S. Moore) Vollesen (= Stenandriopsis warneckei (S. Moore) Napper)
Note: this taxon list is still under construction. It does not yet contain all known Stenandriopsis Clade subgroups.
The list presented here is of taxa that were included in the analyses of McDade et al. (2005). We use the genus name Stenandrium for these plants because they have been most recently treated by Vollesen (1992) as members of that genus. Vollesen (1992) treated a number of additional Old World plants as closely related to those listed above; these likely belong here but this remains to be confirmed by additional study.
The basal clade of the "Two-lipped Corolla" lineage apparently includes all Old World Acantheae that retain the primitive corolla morphology. Stenandriopsis is a genus of 17 species that are distributed in Africa and Madagascar. Based in part on the similar (but plesiomorphic) corolla morphology, Vollesen (1992) transferred species of Stenandriopsis to Stenandrium, but molecular data indicate that the Old World and New World plants instead form two distinct lineages. The small Malagasy genus Achyrocalyx (3 species) is also part of the Stenandriopsis clade and our data indicate that recognition of this genus as distinct from Stenandriopsis may be unwarranted.
McDade, L. A., T. F. Daniel, C. A. Kiel, and K. Vollesen. 2005. Phylogenetic relatinships among Acantheae (Acanthaceae): Major lineages present contrasting patterns of molecular evolution and morphological differentiation. Systematic Botany 30: 834-862.
Vollesen, K. 1992. The Old World species of Stenandrium (Acanthaceae: Acantheae). Kew Bulletin 47: 169-202.
Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden
Correspondence regarding this page should be directed to Lucinda A. McDade at and Carrie Kiel at
Page copyright © 2006 and Carrie Kiel
All Rights Reserved.
- First online 13 September 2006
- Content changed 13 September 2006
Citing this page:
McDade, Lucinda A. and Carrie Kiel. 2006. Stenandriopsis Clade. Version 13 September 2006 (under construction). http://tolweb.org/Stenandriopsis_Clade/52320/2006.09.13 in The Tree of Life Web Project, http://tolweb.org/